This is my first attempt at a low key multiple choice vocabulary quiz. The questions are below with the choices, and click on Continue Reading for the answers. Let me note that these words were not fully in my vocabulary and if asked to define them without seeing them in context, I couldn’t do it. Context helps but isn’t always 100%.
The terms are uncanny, unabashed, dilatory, hoi polloi, and nonplussed.
1. unabashed—a) brave, b) self-critical, c) party animal, d) willing to take a chance, e) not easily embarrassed
2. dilatory—a) a time waster, b) a smart person, c) expresses self well, d) on time always, e) shy person
3. uncanny—a) normal, ordinary, b) brave in a crowd, c) more than ordinary, d) sense of humor, e) self- absorbed
4. hoi polloi— a) the commoners, b) celebration, c) exaggerating, d) fancy as in gifts, e) wealthy and powerful
5. nonplussed—a) confused and bewildered, b) poor at math, c) not easily impressed, d) lazy, e) boring
unabashed–e, not easily embarrassed
dillatory–a, a time waster
uncanny–c, more than ordinary, above average
hoi polloi–a, the commoners, ordinary people
nonplussed–a, confused and bewildered
I’ll set a goal for posting one of these type “quizzes” once a month; please send in words of this nature